Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to submit a building application for works to make my pool compliant?

Building approval is only required if certain levels of work are to be undertaken (e.g. a total of more than five (5) metres of fence or more than six (6) fence posts are affected by the repairs or require replacement). If the total value of the works to make your pool compliant exceeds $3300 then the work must be undertaken by the holder of a QBSA licence.

Do I need to fence my above ground pool?

Provided the sides of the above ground pool are 1200mm or higher it is not necessary to have a fence all the way around. It is however a requirement that all above ground pools have an access point (e.g. ladder, stairs, slide) which has a compliant pool fence around it. It is also a requirement that there is nothing near the fence which could allow young children to climb up the sides of the pool or across into the pool.

How long do I have to rectify issues with my pool once a non-compliance certificate is issued?

Pool owners have 90 days from the date of issue of a non-compliance certificate to have their pool re-inspected. If the pool is not re-inspected within 90 days then the inspector is obliged by law to forward the non-compliance notice to the local council. If the pool is re-inspected within 90 days and is still not compliant then the owner is issued with another non-conformity notice which esentially grants the pool owner another 90 days to re-inspect.

How long is my Pool Safety Certificate valid for?

If your pool is a non-shared private pool your pool safety certificate is valid for 2 years.

For shared pools and pools associated with rented properties a pool safety certificate is valid for 1 year.

How do I know if my pool is on the Pool Safety Register?

You can check to see if your swimming pool is registered on the pool safety register by checking the register online. If you pool ius not registered by the 4th May 2011 you may be liable for a fine of up to $2000.

When do I have to have a safety inspection and Pool Safety Certificate issued for my swimming pool?

For private residential pools an inspection needs to be completed only if the property is sold or leased.

For pools in short term accomodation (backpackers, hotels, motels or hostels) before 1st June 2011.